16 April, 2007

opinions

Well. Another week goes by, and I'm posting again. Time moves a bit faster than you'd think, especially without an internet connection. I'm changing that though - because I live in my own apartment, I'm going to try to have DSL wired to that room. The rates are fairly cheap - around $40 a month for (pause for effect) 50 MBPS down/15MBPS up! That's possibly overkill. :) That being said - more photos are up at flickr. Check em out. Link's in the bar.

And now, as the title suggests, I have some opinions of Japan upon being here around 2 weeks. These are just some small things of note, little tidbits that I've picked up. YMMV.

First: if you need to find something that tastes really good, is pretty cheap, and looks somewhat like normal food, find a bread store. Bread stores do not just sell bread. Bread stores sell pretty much anything. For around 200 yen (~$2) you can pick up a nicely cooked ham-and-cheese sandwich, crust removed. Absolutely delicious. you can make a full meal there for about $6 (which, in this country, is pretty good... food is not cheap.).

Second: You are never more than 20 meters (65 feet-ish) away from a cat in this country. They roam the cities, the countryside, and probably even the mountains (I haven't checked yet...) like it's theirs. And it pretty much is. People will go out of their way to let a cat go by, and the cat's are like, "yeah... whatever. Stupid humans."

Apparently karaoke is performed in marathon sessions. I went out with a couple friends on Sunday to go karaoke. We arrived at this hotel-like building, very shiny and clean, and ordered a session. It cost around $10 apiece - but that was worth it for 5 hours of singing in a 5'x5' room. Fortunately, that included drink prices. So, even a few waters and orange juices later, I wasn't going be able to sing anymore - dry throat.

Finally, it doesn't matter what country you're in: if you're looking for a party with people, join a choir. Nagasaki Gaikoku go Daigaku (my school, aka NUFS) does not have a music program. So, I went over to Nagasaki Daigaku (affectionately known as cho-dai) and asked them if I could join their choir program. Apparently, choir is all student-organized, as a club setting. I'm the only gaijin there so far (one of my friends is coming with me tonight), but I've had more fun with that group in the past few days than in the time that I had spent here before that. Choir people know how to have fun.

Scott, Jesse, and Brian - Don't worry. I found a DDR partner. I'll be all practiced up for the club to start again next year. Hope you will be too. :)

Everyone, thanks for keeping an eye on me. I'll talk to you all later.

じゃ、 まった。 See you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just about to bitch you out for not updating your blog, but look at that! I am glad you are having a good time and you found a choir - which is very, very important(and no that was not sarcastic).
Audra

Anonymous said...

so you found some bumps your first couple weeks? Cats huh? Well I got class, I don't know about you, over there sleeping at this time of, well night I guess. Okay, gtg but let me know what's up stuff, and are you sure getting internet is a good thing? Is it going to be acceptable to your hostess who gave you your own apartment? Will it leave when you do?

Scott said...

Audra is insane.
Anyway good work... wait Japanese DDR partner? CURSE YOU AND YOUR CHEATING!
...yeah anyway, glad to know you're alive. I still haven't been able to catch you online, and I've been on at the oddest hours these days.
Anyway I guess I'll let you know whats been happening, since I don't know how much you've talked to Brian and Jesse.
Well my life is still in absolute chaos these days, however I might get promoted to head cook at work, so that would ease my monetary pains for awhile. (Funny, as I complain about money I look at my brand new 250 gb my book)
Jesse got a DS, and puzzle quest is still addicting, and to make matters worse, Pokemon comes out this Sunday, and I plan on waiting in front of Target for it. YesI have Jesse and my copies reserved but I'M THAT FRICKIN CRAZY.
But yeah its boring, and I await your return. BTW are you going to be up for Anime Iowa when you get back? I'm going to assume you've had your fill of Japan and the answer is no, and I'm not sure if I want to go on account of the fact that Nikki officially "hates" me.
Still, I actually am quite happy, and its good to know what Japan is like, and I really want to go too, but meh. Stay healthy.

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Glad you are having a good time, I agree with Sissy, check with your home Mom before the internet. I hope you enjoy your time, but Grandpa said you better be studing also.

Talk to you later.

Scott said...

Smidge wants to know if there are any vending machines that sell freshly cooked meat products, like burgers or chicken.

Anonymous said...

Hope to see pictures of your home family soon, hope you aren't forgetting about them? That is where you will learn alot.

Anonymous said...

Oh my God man, a DDR partner? An Asian DDR partner? Cheats! I wish I had time to play, but it never happens. Ever.

Also, I've updated my blog, and will be doing so again after pokemon comes out. A post all about my DS! Um, yeah. You should read my update. nice pics BTW man.